CarNetix Support Forum  

Go Back   CarNetix Support Forum > Main Forum > CNX-P2140 - Mac

Old 05-22-2007, 07:35 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Joesan
Quote:
If you look on the MP3Car forums a number of people are having the same problem.
I think you missed the 2005 date on this thread....
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/macc...s-sleep-3.html
Quote:
Mike could you add some input as regards the above.
I'm still not sure why you are having trouble with the default setting. Here's a summary from the (not-yet-finised) manual
2.1.7 Mac mini Application Summary

Below is a summary of the steps required for connecting and configuring the P2140 & Mac mini:

1. Enable Sleep Mode in the Mac mini.
SystemPreferences -> EnergySaver -> Options -> WakeOptions and check the box labeled “Allow power button to sleep the computer”.
2. Set the secondary output off-control soft jumper on the P2140 for “ignition” (to prevent USB devices from waking the Mac)
3. Disable “Restart after Power Loss” in the Mac mini.
SystemPreferences -> EnerySaver -> Options -> OtherOptions and UNCHECK the box called “Restart automatically after a power failure”.
4. Optionally set the Deadman Timer.
5. Follow the connection instructions below for installing the Mac mini in your car.
=======================

...however, the default settings should work fine. Have you been able to watch the PSUmoni application with a laptop while the Mac attempts to sleep? Does the shutdown lockout timer expire before the Mac is sleeping? If so, extend this timer. Or are you saying that the Mac is *not* responding to the ACPI signal telling it to sleep?

***ALL*** Sorry for being out of touch. We've moved and things are chaotic to say the least. I will try to catch up as soon as possible.
mikeh@carnetix.com
Old 05-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Site Admin

Hi Mike - Hope the move went well and that you've got an enormous corner office with a beautiful view!

I made the modifications you outlined (I had the restart automatically checked). I also extended the ACPI duration to 4s.

The mini seemed to sleep okay, then when the PSU shutdown (i.e the LEDs switched off entirely on the P2140) the mini just shutdown. On recranking the ignition the mini switched on, not from sleep but as if from power on.

Here are some screenshots (from the alpha Os X port of the PSUMoni application, it was not possible for me to reborrow the laptop today). Perhaps they tell you something?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen1.jpg (37.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg screen2.jpg (20.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-23-2007, 02:54 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesan
... Perhaps they tell you something?
Guess there are two distinct possibilities:

(a) my application displays the mode wrong
(b) my application displays the mode right and your 2140 indeed is in the Hibernation mode.

In the latter case, that's your answer. In Mike's dictionary, "hibernation" means "switch off" (or "deep sleep"), in other words, the power is cut off. What you need is "standby", which means "sleep" -- the power is kept on.

Just try to change the settings in my PSUmoni, and we'll see whether it helps or not
Old 05-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Site Admin

Oh, by the way...

Quote:
... I also extended the ACPI duration to 4s
... this is way too long (though it should be harmless). A long ACPI (even longer than this, about 5 s) is needed in case you want it to truly switch off the Mac. On the other hand, for all the other tasks -- namely, to put it asleep, and to wake it up, or to start it in case it was switched off -- about half a second or even shorter time is completely sufficient.

Mind that ACPI is, effectively, just a pressed power button. Do you even press the power button and keep it pressed for long 4 seconds?
Old 05-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Site Admin

Okay OCS I'll try your suggestions. It would be great if you are right... and you've got a good track record...

I extended the APCI just to see if that had an effect.

Incidentally if you look at Screenshot 1 you can see that the ACPI indicator is not lit - does it activate only when that command is given i.e. it would not be observable on the Mac that was being iSensed (but would, for example, if PSUMoni was being run on another Mac or MS machine USB connected to the P2140 but not powered by it)?
Old 05-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
... Incidentally if you look at Screenshot 1 you can see that the ACPI indicator is not lit - does it activate only when that command is given i.e. it would not be observable on the Mac that was being iSensed (but would, for example, if PSUMoni was being run on another Mac or MS machine USB connected to the P2140 but not powered by it)?
Good question. I wonder, too. It's for Mike to answer...

I suppose the soft-LED is "lit" during the time ACPI is being sent. But of course, I can be wrong. A good documentation of the exact meaning of all the LEDs, soft-jumpers and other settings (not speaking of the USB protocol!) would help tremendously! Perhaps I'm just blind, but I haven't found any on the site -- the little I suppose about the P2140 behaviour is actually my experience with P1900 just extended to another device...

Anyway, supposed the assumption above's right, to see the ACPI indicator would be easy -- don't attach the ACPI cable, and that's all: then you can observe the shutdown ACPI without any problem (the overcurrent protection might prevent observing of the boot ACPI) . There are other indicators much more difficult to be observed on the Mac powered from the PSU whose state you are reading: what about, say, "primary off"?
Old 05-24-2007, 08:13 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
... Incidentally if you look at Screenshot 1 you can see that the ACPI indicator is not lit - does it activate only when that command is given i.e. it would not be observable on the Mac that was being iSensed (but would, for example, if PSUMoni was being run on another Mac or MS machine USB connected to the P2140 but not powered by it)?

Good question. I wonder, too. It's for Mike to answer...
Yes, the ACPI LED is lit only during the ACPI pulse period.
Quote:
There are other indicators much more difficult to be observed on the Mac powered from the PSU whose state you are reading: what about, say, "primary off"?
Many of the indicators are meant for debugging while using a second computer (ie laptop). Primary Off is one of those indicators.
Quote:
I extended the APCI just to see if that had an effect.
We have determined that the Intel Mac needs an ACPI pulse of about 1.75 seconds with an ACPI delay of about 3 seconds. An ACPI pulse longer than 1.75 seconds will not help or hurt the operation. However and ACPI pulse >5 seconds will shut the Mac down abruptly.
Quote:
The mini seemed to sleep okay, then when the PSU shutdown (i.e the LEDs switched off entirely on the P2140) the mini just shutdown. On recranking the ignition the mini switched on, not from sleep but as if from power on.
This sounds like the P2140 is going into hibernation (power off). I suggest borrowing a laptop to run PSUmoni while observing the Mac beharior.
mikeh@carnetix.com
Old 05-24-2007, 05:05 PM
Site Admin

Okay - well I got it working and now the Mini sleeps fine and unsleeps beautifully. I think I could have got it working some time ago with a some better documentation of the variables in PSUMoni. I had no idea that Hibernate meant switch off!

As suggested by OCS, and later verified by Mike, the unit was in Hibernate and needed to be changed to Standby.

For anyone with similar issues I'd recommend the following -

1) Update the firmware of your device to the latest (at the time of writing 1.8.3). Mine was 1.0 when I bought it.

2) In the Settings screen of the PSUMoni application change the unit from Hibernate to Standby

That was all that was required.

At the moment one needs to use a Windows machine to update the firmware but hopefully that may change. I used the alpha/beta of OCS port of PSUMoni to change the Hibernate/Standby state. This works under OS X so is definitely a step in the right direction. Hopefully OCS and Mike can work something out so it becomes officially sanctioned by Carnetix. It is really a great advantage to be able to access the PSU information natively on your Mac.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Hopefully OCS and Mike can work something out so it becomes officially sanctioned by Carnetix
No problem at this side at all